Special Kinds of Leave
551. Maternity Leave- (1) A female railway servant (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children may be granted maternity leave by an authority competent to grant leave for a period of 180 days from the date of its commencement.
(2) During such period, she shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
(3) Maternity Leave not exceeding 45 days may also be granted to a female Railway servant (irrespective of the number of surviving children) during the entire service of that female Railway servant in case of miscarriage including abortion on production of medical certificate as laid down in Rule 519.
(4) (a) Maternity Leave may be combined with leave of any other kind.
(b) Notwithstanding the requirement of production of medical certificate contained in Rule 527 or sub-rule (1) of Rule 528, leave of the kind due and admissible (including commuted leave for a period not exceeding 60 days and leave not due) up to a maximum of two years may, if applied for, be granted in continuation of maternity leave granted under sub-rule (1).
(5) Maternity leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
551(A) Paternity Leave (1)A male Railway servant (including an apprentice) with less than two surviving children, may be granted Paternity Leave by an authority competant to grant leave for a period of 15 days, during the confinement of his wife for childbirth, i.e., up to 15 days before, or up to six months from the date of delivery of the child.
(2) During such period of 15 days, he shall be paid leave salary equal to the pay drawn immediately before proceeding on leave.
(3) The Paternity Leave may be combined with leave of any other kind.
(4) Paternity Leave shall not be debited against the leave account.
(5) If Paternity Leave is not availed of within the period specified in sub-rule (1), such leave shall be treated as lapsed.
(6) The Paternity Leave can be granted only in a single spell.
Note:- The Paternity Leave shall not normally be refused under any circumstances.
(Authority: - Railway Board letter NO. (P&A)I-2008/CPC/LE-8 dated 04.05.11 ) acs no. 116